Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Friday, December 17, 2010

@IndyBrewing Dinner at Mansion on Judge's Hill, Sunday, Janurary 16th

If you haven't already heard, Mansion at Judge's Hill will be hosting an Independence Beer dinner on Sunday, January 16th.  That's five courses and five beers.  The tickets are a steal at $60, and they make the perfect gift for the food and beer lover in your life.  *Hint Hint*  Call 512-495-1857 to order your tickets.  Tickets are limited.

I attended a test run of the dinner so you get to enjoy a little virtual teaser.  Passed appetizers will be Boursin and Portabella Crostini with Oven Dried Cherry Tomato and Fried Boudin Balls with Spicy Remoulade paired with Austin Amber.  The menu has changed slightly since the test dinner, so I didn't have the Fried Boudin Balls. 

 
Next up was the Kobe Slider with Sage Derby, Mole, Balsamic Onions, House-Made Sweet Pickles, Parmesan-Truffle Gaufrettes served with Bootlegger Brown.  The slider was fantastically juicy, flavorful, interesting with mole, sage, and sweet onions.  The effervescence of the Bootlegger paired wonderfully with the richness of the slider.  I couldn't definitely see this type of pairing on a happy hour menu.  I'd eat this for breakfast, lunch, happy hour, and dinner. 

Salad. Butter Lettuce Wedge, Champagne Soaked Apricots and Cherries, Bleu Cheese, Smoked Pistachio Vinaigrette, Candied Pistachios with Stash IPA.  If you've ever had a meal with me, you'll know that I am not a salad fan.  I enjoy some types of salads, but I'm generally not a fan of the lettuce-based salads.  With that said, I really liked this salad.  I mean really, really liked.  The smokiness of the vinaigrette, paired with sweet and tart dried fruits, and the pungent aroma of the bleu cheese made this a fantastic salad.  The bold and citrus-y Stash IPA was a great palate cleanser for the rich dressing. 

Main course: Shrimp, Chevre & Black Pepper Grits, Braised Collard Greens, Citrus Chipotle Vinaigrette served with Freestyle.  The crisp and dry Freestyle was a perfect compliment to the spiced shrimp and it cut through the creaminess of the chevre.  This pairing was delicately balanced with flavors and textures.  This was also the first time that I've had collard greens, and I liked them.  This course really reminded me of visiting the Texas coast: spicy shrimp and a refreshing beer.  I'm going to order shrimp and beer next time I visit Corpus Christi.
 
Dessert: Up-side down Molasses Pear Cake, Convict Hill Ice Cream, Convict Hill Caramel, Toasted Almonds served with Convict Hill.  The combination of the pear and molasses is straight-up comfort food.  I frequently ate pears (we had a tree in the backyard), and I love pear desserts.  So I might be slightly biased in my opinion here.  Nonetheless, this is another delicious and comforting pairing. 


Now that you have an idea of the deliciousness that is to come on January, 16th, you better buy some tickets quickly.  Word is that many tickets have already sold.  And buy them in bulk.  Good beer and good food is even better with good friends.  Hope to see ya there!

1 comment: